Custom Search

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Schwarzer breaks OR in Men's 50km Walk


Updated: 2008-08-22 12:18:30
Photos: Italian wins Men's 50km Walk gold
Alex Schwazer competes. (Photo Credit: Mark Dadswell/Getty Images)

(BEIJING, August 22) -- Alex Schwarzer of Italy won the Men's 50km Walk gold medal at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in a time of three hours and 37.09 minutes on August 22.

The 24-year-old Italian broke the previous Olympic record of three hours and 38.29 seconds set by Vyacheslav Ivanenko of the USSR ten years ago. With this achievement, he adds his first Olympic gold to his trophy shelf, next to bronzes earned at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships.

"It's the best, it's the highest level. I'm delighted," Schwarzer said excitedly when talking about his gold medal.

"This is for my grandfather who died in July. I'm very sad about it. He's been there for me my whole life, but now I'm sure he is happy," he added.

The silver medal went to Jared Tallent of Australia in three hours 39.27 minutes. Tallent won bronze in the Men's 20km Walk at these Games on Saturday, August 16.

"This is what you do it for. Just warming up this morning and thinking of all the years of hard work that come down to this. I can't believe it - two medals at the Olympics," said Tallent.

Denis Nizhegorodov of Russia took bronze in three hours 40.14 minutes.

"I feel very disappointed. I don't know why. I don't think I had any technical problems or mistakes. I got a silver four years ago (Athens 2004 Olympic Games), but now it's only a bronze. It's such a pity," said Nizhegorodov.

No comments:

Search Engine Optimization - AddMe